Thursday, June 26, 2008

Of George Carlin and Liz Morgan

Back when I was in college at Northeastern University in the late 60's, I was living in a 3-decker in Allston. Next door was a duplex. Somehow, I became acquainted with the woman next door. She was 10 years older than I was, married with 3 children. I only remember her children's names...Dawn, Kim, and David and her husband's name Jerry.

She became a wonderful friend...she told me stories about another friend of hers who was a friend of George Carlin and how she (Liz) had spoken with him on the phone. I thought..."how cool".

There was a short period of time where I needed a place to live and Liz stepped up and told me I could stay with her and her family. My mom (overwhelmed by the late 60's) didn't know how to thank her, so my Mom sent her a tablecloth and wrote her a long letter.

Liz wasn't very tall, but had an Asian look about her eyes (although she was not of Asian descent), had very long black hair and would sit at the kitchen table with a freshly brewed cup of coffee...not to drink it...but just to inhale its aromatic steam.

We spoke of love, sex, marriage and more. For some reason, after I moved out, I don't even remember how or why we lost touch. I've tried to find her many times using the internet, but to no avail...and every time I would see George Carlin on TV and laugh, I thought about Liz and what a great friend she was to me.

With George Carlin's death this past week, my thoughts once again drifted to Liz. My greatest fear is that I missed my opportunity to once more tell her how much she meant to me. I can only hope that with this blog, somehow someone will recognize her name and tell me what happened to Liz Morgan.

No comments: